CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday 7 July 2007

A Hard Life

Wow! I've spent the last few days thinking of how artful I can make this post but the writer in me realised that the artful-ness of this would be in this simplicity.

A couple of days ago, I was driving down Ikorodu road to school and there was mad traffic (as usual) and I saw a guy - he must have been twenty-something or so - one of the street-hawkers and he was bawling (u must understand me, not sniffling. not crying, BAWLING) and I looked and saw that this guy was hawking a bag of 'pure water' and it had fallen (or something) and all the sachets in it had burst......my heart stopped.

*Interlude*
Now, those that have been away from Naija for too long might not get the point of the post so i'd explain, a bag of pure water contains about 20 sachets each costing N5 - that's N100 per bag and the profit would not be more than N10.
*Interlude ends*

Is this the real state of our country, I had to ask myself - the privileged ones rolling in their cars with oye-pumping while the rest hustle for N10 on top of a bag of pure water?

I'm Thankful to God for what I have, where I am, ... because it's all based on what womb I was placed...
(*sigh*)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually, the profit is N40...u can get the bag for N60..no need to ask how i know this..that's irrelevant..the point is...thats the sad state of our nation today...we all need to make some sort of effort to bring it to its rightful place...
i wont even pretend i know how to go about doing that...
like MC Hammer (?) says...we need to pray...

Anonymous said...

makes u think doesn't it.
the word 'thankful' takes on so much more meaning when u see stuff like that.
(and i think u can still get a bag for around 50bux.. so thats almost 100% profit!)
first time here.. still reading thru. i suspect u're in lag tho, so myt not wanna get too friendly! lol

Anonymous said...

awwww... thats impossibly touching and sad and depressing... my God... you're so right.. when we get to thinking about how life sucks cos we can only get 2 pairs of shoes instead of 12... i suppose it'll be good to keep in mind people like this guy... chai!

lost-not yet found said...

Cant think of an appropriate philosophical comment...

Hi!

Sunshine! said...

i know things like this always make me cry, aww how sad.....i really wish there was something one can do to eridicate poverty from Nigeria.....thus i am thankful as well......at least despite my unfufillments in life , one can still look at others and Thank God that the situation is not that bad compared to others.....*sigh*